Friday, October 10, 2008

Child's Play

When I was young, there were a lot of Filipino nursery rhymes that were invented, just like Bahay Kubo. It vividly shows our unique Filipino culture. These songs were part of our play, popular to pat-a-cake. I can still remember chanting some of them:

Nanay, tatay
Gusto kong tinapay
Ate, kuya
Gusto kong kape
Lahat ng gusto ko
Ay susundin ninyo
Sinong magkamali
Ay siyang pipingutin ko
Isa, dalawa, tatlo
Apat, lima, anim
Pito, walo, siyam
Sampu!


In Filipino tradition, the elders always have the authority. Children were taught that it’s impolite to talk if they are not asked to. They don’t have a voice. What they have to say doesn’t matter and nobody bothers. In this song, they hardly wished even for play to be in their shoes, to be heard. Some elders almost make their children slaves, if for some reason they disoblige, elders will start to count and spank the children afterwards.

Ako ay may lobo
Lumipad sa langit
‘Di ko na nakita
Pumutok na pala
Sayang lang ang pera ko
Binili ng lobo
Sa pagkain sana
Nabusog pa ako

This song speaks of the economic crisis the country always seems to be under. Children are taught that we have to buy necessity first. I remember when I was kid, after the Sunday Mass, street vendors were everywhere and I try to convince my grandmother to buy me a red balloon. She told me that she didn’t have enough money, but when I told her I want kutchinta, she bought me 2 plastic bags of it; to think that it’s more expensive than the balloon.

Pen pen de sarapen
Di kutsilyo de almasen
Haw haw de karabaw
Batuten
Sipit namimilipit
Ginto’t Pilak
Namumulaklak
Sa tabi ng dagat
Sayang pula

Tatlong pera

Sayang puti
Tatlong salapi

I don’t really get the meaning of this song. Probably saying that likas na yaman in our country is found under the sea and that simple gambling plays a major role in Filipinos’ lives.

However, some of these rhymes were horribly created and were used for mockery. Children sang and played pat-a-cake without realizing the true meaning behind them.

Langit lupa
Impiyerno

Im-im-impiyerno

Saksak puso
Tulo ang dugo
Patay Buhay
Alis ka na dyan

Brutal, ‘di ba? And whoever said Filipinos are not aware of LGBTs? They were clearly aware I tell you, but they don’t just encourage it. Remember the song:

Girl, boy
Bakla, tomboy!

And if you’re picked, children will tease you for hours like it’s really something bad. And here’s another song:

One. two, three
Asawa ni Marie

Araw, gabi
Walang panty

See? It clearly states that Marie is a lesbian because her partner is supposed to wear a panty!?

Last night, two girls were playing in our hallway. I laughed when I hear them sing. The nursery rhymes just keeps getting better and better.

Asawa ni Corazon
May asawang hapon

‘di mapakali
Tumawag ng pulis

Where did they get these ideas anyway? Does Corazon the Japayuki really exist or Marie the lesbian? Is this for real? I don’t know but it is interesting! I just can’t wait to have a child of my own.


No comments: