Saturday, August 15, 2009

TV

It’s been a year since I was last updated to current news. Our TV was only good for DVDs and the small (as in literally small) black and white TV/radio made me lose my interest from watching because of the bad signal. I am not familiar with anything that is new except when people around me make it as a topic, or it became a fad or associated with something/someone.

It pains me not to be updated. Nakakabobo and you look dumb infront of other people. You don’t get to share your thoughts, your opinions, your voice.

I am not familiar with Pinoy Henyo and I happen to know it now because it was being played through trainings as an icebreaker and my buddy and her sister joined that show in Eat Bulaga.

The Katrina Halili-Hayden Kho scandal was one of our “how’s-your-day-at-work-honey” dinner topic.

The celebrity hookups, celebrity breakups, the latest commercials that creates an impact, the catchy lines that they get from watching was used to me by my seatmate and the only reaction that I can give is ‘huh?!” like I’ve given her the a face that has a big red question mark splat on my face and she was like “don’t you watch TV” and I go explain to her what I wrote in paragraph 1.


So there, people. I’m dumb regarding current news and I wouldn’t be surprised if I failed the Civil Service Exams.

Last Monday when I was home, Malou aka Sam told me that Cory Aquino was brought to Manila Cathedral and they passed Makati City and stayed there for awhile at Ninoy Aquino’s monument to pray. That answered my question about the unreasonable traffic along Pasong Tamo going to Buendia, There were yellow ribbons on cars, trees and confetti all over the pavement. I just felt sad because that very day I thought I was robbed of a chance of seeing another major event broadcasted on national TV.

The first was the death of Francis M. He’s the Pinoy’s coolest rapper and the inventor of Philippine Flag shirts where he used his influence to bring back patriotism to the Filipino people. I love him because he’s maka-Pinoy and I am maka-Pinoy. Remember his song “Mga Kababayan Ko”? – it appears to be a modern version of El Filibusterismo. Astig ‘di ba? He made an impact through his craft, injecting nationalism in his music for the Filipino people without them realizing it. Ayon nga kay Ivy - huwow!

I was riding on a bus going to work when there’s a segment from Eat Bulaga about him. That’s when I realize he died already and I was 3 days late from the news.




Second was the death of Michael Jackson. The news was in a form of a forwarded text so I was in doubt if it was true. The news was shocking. It left my mind in a haze and it took 24 hours before it finally sunk in. This is the King of Pop you’re talking about! The news was totally ‘Off the Wall’ and all this time I thought he’s ‘Invincible’. He might be ‘Bad’ and ‘Dangerous’ to little boys in some ways but when he sings, it’s enchanting! Every move, every word, every line that he sings is magical. Singing with feelings is magical. Everything that you do that comes from the heart turns out to be magical and that’s what he is.

It might be a ‘Thriller’ for weeks as fans all over the world mourned his death. Even to his last breath, he created a ‘History’.




The latest one is the death of Cory Aquino. I was six when she became the first female President of the Philippines. I was playing at the backyard, dicing fortune plants pretending it was a vegetable. My lola heard the news about the EDSA revolution and she told me that another war is coming and led me to the living room to watch the news on TV. She was so scared that she wanted me to sit right next to her and actually be with her wherever she goes. She thinks that a tora-tora will drop a bomb at her house any minute.

I witnessed everything through our colored Sony TV. The old ones, the youth, the businessmen, the nurses, the doctors, the lawyers, the activists, the politicians, the police, the students, the priests, the nuns, the children. For the first time, it made the world stop because at this very second, no matter what you are, who you are, how much you’re earning is not the basis or the importance of being there. It’s being One with the Filipino people. As they hold each other’s hand to form a human barricade, they created unity. As they fought their way to one goal, discrimination was never an issue. As they chanted their prayers, religious fights were overshadowed, When the soldiers dropped their weapons, they showed love and compassion. Because that day in 1986, even for a day, we became brothers and sisters, and to me that was the time we were in heaven.

Cory Aquino led the people, and yes, she is a woman, she is a Filipino. When she talked, she made it sure that she was heard and that’s what happened at the US Congress. I became a patriot because of her, because of what I saw. This kind of revolution was used by other Asian countries afterwards but with no success. I am proud that I am part of this country and that I witnessed and became part of the history.



So there again, I could say that having a cabled TV is important and I hope you’re reading this Germaine. We need cable TV and the “how’s-your-day-honey” dinner talk is not enough.

I want to point out as well why Filipino people buy CDs of Francis M. and Michael Jackson after they died. Will you also buy EDSA Revolution soundtrack CD just in case?


Since I’m a Filipina and I have Filipino traits let me give you MY lists of my favorite songs from these three events.

In Frances M., his songs made me remember his name.
In Michael Jackson’s, his name made me remember his songs
The important thing was that they left something that will last for a lifetime.

MY LISTS:

Francis M. Lists:

1. Cold Summer Nights
2. Girl Be Mine
3. Kaleidoscope World

Michael Jackson Lists:

1. I Just Can’t Stop Loving You
2. The Girl Is Mine
3. Human Nature
4. Gone To Soon
5. She’s Out Of My Life
6. You Are Not Alone

Cory Aquino and the EDSA Revolution:

1. Magkaisa
2. Bayan Ko

No comments: